A group of young German immigrants who would gather for some “Gemütlichkeit” following their evening English classes founded a club under the name Heimatbund on May 24th 1932. Gemütlichkeit (German pronunciation: [ɡəˈmyːtlɪçkaɪt] is a German-language word used to convey the idea of a state or feeling of warmth, friendliness, and good cheer. Heimatbund is translated into Homeland Association or Society.
Informally, this group would gather and share in music, singing, dancing and refreshments celebrating the commonality of their culture and heritage. In 1937 these informal gatherings, when a group of men, most of them connected with full-fashioned hosiery business in the area, thought it would be a good idea to have their own clubhouse in the countryside. In September of that year they purchased approximately 44 acres of land (our present location) in Ruscombmanor Township, consisting of a farmhouse, barn, woodland, and some cultivated and uncultivated areas, for the price of $2,660.00.
In 1940’s, Due to the United States involvement with World War II and to show support of their adoptive country while trying to minimize persecution and stereotyping of their new countrymen, the members of the Heimatbund elected to change the name of the club to be more reflective of their new citizenship. In 1948, the name of the club was officially changed to “Evergreen Country Club, Inc.”. We still, to this day, get request for tee times and golf lessons?
Not only did our club experience a name change, there were many alterations done to the building and grounds throughout the years. Originally, the club was only the farmhouse. In 1969 ground was broken and and an addition was built onto our club making our current bar, seating and dance area. In the 1970’s -1980’s the outside bar and pavillion were constructed. In 1989-1990 the large Pavilion, Stage and dance floor were added. In 2003 the Summer Garden was dedicated.
In the 1960’s many younger people joined our club, which, in 1966 led to the founding of the Evergreen Soccer Club (a division of the Evergreen Country Club). These young people, like the club founders, worked long, hard hours, and built their own soccer field stadium on the club premises in 1966. Still later, in 1970, the E.S.C. Junior Division was founded. Today, we still host two men’s soccer teams, one boys team and seven girls teams.
In 1989-1990, our schuhplattler group, Auerhahn Schuhplattlers Verein, joined our club.Officially, this group formed in 1979 as a result of members splitting from Reading Liederkranz G.T.V. Edelweiss Schuhplattler Verein. Founding members of our Auerhahn Schuhplattler include the Schoellkopf family, the Klein family, the Row and Babilon families. Many members of this group became members of the Evergreen Club in the 1989 – 1990 time period. All are currently still involved with the dance group and the Evergreen Club. 2019 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Auerhahn Schuhplattler Verein. Today, they are heavily involved with the club, three current members, Eric Meck, Ben Meck and Lauren Meck serving on our board, while practicing, performing at, and supporting our club regularly. As of late, the Kinder Group has flourished as our clubs continue to grow together.
We have come a long way, and are proud of our achievements as we uphold the original principles of our founders to perpetuate and celebrate German culture and heritage. We have over 960 members today. It has been sometime since we have had a large immigration from Germany so many of our newer members are American born with some German heritage or, at minimal, enjoy and respect our celebration of our culture and heritage.